Saturday, December 6, 2008

Interminably Connected

You like that? "Interminable" was one of the vocabulary words for my 11th graders when I taught at West. My kids swore people never used the word...

Believe it or not, when I went off to college in the fall of 1997, only one person I knew had an e-mail address (through AOL) and that was because his father taught at a university in Fort Worth and the whole family was up to date on technology trends. I had never even been on the Internet. Really. So, when I got to college, there was this novelty awaiting. And, it turns out, I was a natural. I could search and find most everyone I looked for. I could find information I needed. I would sit in the computer lab on the 2nd floor of Russell Hall working on a Mac (another novelty) and people would start asking me questions about how to do things on the computer, never suspecting that I was a newbie, as they were. Because it came so easily, I went to free workshops about how to set up web pages on the college server, and I even ended up teaching some of my friends how to do it. I had found my gift...technology.

The e-mail thing turned out to be not as great as I thought it would be. First, it wasn't as personal as a hand-written letter, and you couldn't tell a person's tone as well as you could if you were face-to-face. Second, educated people's grammar started deteriorating in front of my eyes and there wasn't a dang thing I could do about it. Third, I couldn't make a fresh start. I was, as I coined the phrase then, "interminably connected." I went to a college where I didn't know anyone, and yes, it was lonely, but I wanted to take that adventure head on. Instead, I got sucked into leftover high school drama via e-mail. Ugh.

Mom and Dad subscribed to AOL that Thanksgiving (their first time with Internet too, I suspect), and I'm pretty sure I spent most of the break chatting in chat rooms...for the first time (and almost last time) in my life. At first I understood the draw, the anonymity, the being able to talk to people you didn't know about anything you wanted to. And then I started to feel empty. I didn't know these people. I didn't really want to know these people. I wanted to know real people and see their expressions, hear their vocal inflection, learn about their sense of humor by watching their body language. Once I had that figured out, I no longer chatted with strangers.

So, I had been turned off to both e-mail and chat rooms. E-mail made a comeback when I moved nearly 2 hours away from my boyfriend (now husband). I didn't have a cell phone (that's another story altogether) and e-mail was the cheapest/quickest way to communicate. We still sent each other sweet nothings via what was now being call "snail mail." I'll tell you that I still have every thing Eli ever sent me through the post office--the fact that he took the time to mail it made it worth keeping. I do not, however, have every e-mail he ever sent me. In fact, most of them are gone, deleted with my hotmail account when I forgot to log in for 30 days after I got married and started grad school and Eli was right there with me so I didn't need to e-mail him. Oh, well.

The good and bad thing about e-mail is that if you don't know someone's e-mail address, you can't really look it up unless they're affiliated with a university or company that and are listed in the public directory. And hence, we lose touch. I change from @hotmail.com to @gmail.com, and don't ever get around to telling everyone my new e-mail address. Perhaps by accident, perhaps by intentional neglect. Who knows?

Anyway, two summers ago I was in the summer musical at Theater Tuscaloosa with a whole bunch of college kids, and I kept hearing them talk about Facebook. "Now we're officially friends, since we're FB friends." I had heard of Facebook and social networking, but when I had looked into it, it was restricted to e-mail addresses that ended in .edu and my graduate e-mail address had just been deactivated. I was out of luck. But after hearing the college kids talk, I came to understand that Facebook had opened its doors to the general public. I didn't join the bandwagon just then (my school's filter wouldn't allow access to Facebook and I didn't have time to go to the public library). It wasn't until the end of July when I flew back to Texas to help my mom when she broke her wrist that I joined the phenomenon. They had just set up a wireless Internet router at the house, so when everyone was at work or wherever, I sat on the couch and surfed.

I'll say that in the past 16 months I have reconnected with many, many people, and stayed in touch more dynamically with people I talk to monthly if not more often, but most of them were just a one-time "Hey, how's it going?" deal. Some of the people I couldn't even remember until I accepted their request and then surfed their profile, wiping away cobwebs and fighting the amnesia. And then my students started finding me...(but that's another story altogether, too). Sometimes I'll accept a friend request just to appease someone's curiosity, but seeing that they have over 300 friends, a few weeks down the line, I will quietly delete them from my friends because we use that term "friend" too loosely. They'll probably never notice, anyhow. (If you are reading this, there's a 99.9% chance that you have not been deleted. Otherwise, how'd you get here? Haha.)

And all this brings me to some good news: This week I have reconnected with three of my FAVORITE PEOPLE from my adult life.

1. First, Cooper found me. I always talk about him when I talk about my favorite librarians ever. I've actually been in contact with him a little bit over the couple of years, but FB lets me be apprised of the everyday mundane stuff we women like to keep up with.

2. Second, I found Jinohn. The girl, who was my Co-RA on the third floor of Collins my senior year of college, has a zest for life like no one else I know. She's always smiling, she's unapologetically goofy, and she's graciously ambitious in ways I've never seen before.

3. Third, Michelle found me. I worked with Michelle for two years in Austin, and she is, to this day, hands down, one of the most talented teachers I have ever come into contact with. The last I saw her was at her wedding, which was one of the two best weddings I have ever attended (I love to dance--I can't help it!). That was just over three years ago. I had an old address for her and sent a letter that was returned. I looked for her in online white pages, and I probably looked for her on Facebook, but I couldn't find her. I'm so glad she thought of me after she joined. :)

So, I'm thankful for this interminable connection, though it can be both good and bad. But then, isn't that just the nature of technology? I'm going to think about this a little more...

1 comment:

Stacey Greenawalt said...

I just read through every single post at Cake Wrecks. Really funny stuff! Thanks for the link!

And by the way, I had an email address in the winter of 1995 and a webpage in 1996--it just meant nothing to you at the time since Dad thought the Internet was evil and refused to subscribe to an ISP. You know, I'll bet he misses those 'lost' years, when he COULD have been soaking up the wonders of bountiful information (though the Internet was much less abundant then), and learning new geeky things like engineering a web site.