Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Education Proration

Say that ten times fast.

The governor of Alabama has issued a statement to the effect of, "Let the proration begin!" Though state officials were projecting figures around 7%, education budgets for the next school year will be cut 12%! That's almost double the predicted figure. So, what this means for me as a non-tenured teacher in Alabama is that if I leave my current job to find one closer to home, I will probably be out of luck (and a job). This gives us something to think and pray about as we look to the coming year and all the life changes.

Baby Beaver is due in mid-May.
Our lease is up end of June.
Eli's appointment expires at the end of July.

We will not be staying in our current locale, even if we stay in the Auburn area. So, if you plan on coming to visit the baby in the six weeks after she's born, plan on bringing some packing tape and a permanent marker. There will be a trade off -- 10 minutes of baby time for every box packed. (You only think I'm kidding.)

Eli has just informed me that he's going to commandeer the computer tonight to work on JAG applications. This is our last shot, our last go-round as far as military service is concerned. If Eli doesn't get in then he will pursue another line of employment which will undoubtedly derail any dreams of Italy.

Really, I just want him to get a good job so that I don't have to work full-time (though I'll probably want to work part-time to keep my sanity). But, really, I just want to follow God's will for our lives, whatever that may be. I know that whatever happens, He will work all things for His glory. The Beavers will be a part of that. I am thankful that God cares for us even when we make our own botched plans.

2 comments:

Deena said...

That deal works for me-I can pack some boxes, especially for the incentive you are offering!!

Motorcycle grandma said...

If a grandmother is nearby (MiMI)you'll just take orders and pack boxes - grandmas don't give up baby time easily.