Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Happy Happy Joy Joy

You know what Eli asked me? "You're not a very happy pregnant woman, are you?" Just because I don't want to talk about babies all the time with every person who wants to talk about it does not make me an unhappy pregnant woman. Haha.

I told him that maybe that will change. It's just that I still don't feel pregnant. I still don't even really believe that there's a baby in there. Yes, whatever, I've heard the heartbeat...of what? I think things will become much more real to me next week when we have an ultrasound and I have visual proof of my "condition."

And the truth is I'm a pretty modest person, so I don't usually ever want to talk about anything relating to my body and its functions...ever. Especially not if I didn't initiate the conversation, which I almost never will. Just because it's something that you don't mind (or even like) talking about does not mean that I will too. I prefer to read books and articles about it. And then if I have questions, I will ask someone, but probably not you, because I know how much you love to talk about this kind of stuff and talking to you will make me feel uncomfortable. It is what it is. Sorry.

So, today, I'm thankful for people who are kind and generous, even in the face of adversity. I'm thinking specifically of the two female referees at the middle school basketball games tonight. It's tough to be a ref. I don't envy them their position (though they do it by choice). I was keeping the clock for the girls' game, and they were very patient with me. And then I ran into them during halftime of the boys' game. They were hanging out near the police officers to avoid the rabid crowd. Did you know that everybody's an expert? No, I'm not talking about college or professional ball--I'm talking about middle school. Middle school. Sheesh. These women were rock solid and continued to smile and be gracious even when the players/fans/parents/coaches were not too kind.

Makes me renew my faith in humanity. The refereeing side of humanity, anyway.

No comments: