Monday, December 22, 2008

Baylor Bare

Well, the trip to Waco was a bust. Stacey and the kids and I went after lunch and scoped out polo shirts for Eli. He wears a medium.

We first went to the Baylor Bookstore (which is HUGE now) and the only sizes they had for the only polo shirt I liked were small and large. Eli told me that sizes vary from maker to maker, so I tried on the large just to see if they ran small, but it was big on me, even with my baby bump. Definitely too big for Eli. The other polo shirts they had were "golf" shirts in weird colors. I was looking for something more...classic Baylor? Spring green does not readily scream BAYLOR! to me, though it does scream GOLF COURSE!

So, we went to Pics N' Gifts. It was much smaller than I remembered, but the same woman is still working there. They only had polo shirts in the small and large sizes. Absolutely no medium sizes--not even in ugly polo shirts!

And then we stopped at the Spirit Shop. No polo shirts. Zero. But we were directed to their other store on Bagby. Huh? I realized that it must be where Big Daddy's used to be. And sure enough, they were there, but with a paltry selection of HIDEOUS polo shirts. Think of a gawdy Baylor t-shirt with a polo-style collar. Think, old lady with a sun visor and a little doggie in a Baylor sweater. Um, no.

Under the advisement of the workers at this last store, we went in search of Baylor apparel at Kohl's. But they only had t-shirts and hoodies. Eli needs neither, really.

So, because of this defunct market for Baylor men's classic polo shirts in the medium size in Waco, the one place where I would expect to be able to find such an item, I couldn't bring myself to spend money on a new Baylor t-shirt for me or a onesie for the new baby. Maybe I'll put those on my Christmas list for next year.

One good thing did come out of all this: I finally got that pineapple kolache. Mwahahahah. I am very thankful for Czech pastries.

No comments: