Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Competition!

It's days like these that I'm thankful I live in a capitalist society.

I knew on my way to work this morning that I would more than likely need to get gas on the way home. I didn't get gas before school because, bizarrely, none of the gas stations around my apartment open until 7 and I leave for work at quarter 'till. So after school, when the gas light came on, I was not surprised. There are two gas stations between work and home. I stopped at the first one, because I knew that I wouldn't make it to the second one, and the price for regular unleaded was $1.67. I knew I could find it cheaper closer to home, so I only put in two bucks worth. The next gas station had gas for $1.59 (only 9 miles down the road) but I still didn't stop because I felt that I had seen it cheaper off the beaten path.

Yes, part of me did suspect that maybe I hadn't been paying attention to gas prices and that they were on the rise, but I was willing to take that chance.

I bypassed the turn-off for our apartment and went to the one place I knew would be cheap if any place would be cheap...the RaceWay station on Opelika Road. And do you know how much I paid???

$1.43 a gallon! A couple of months ago, I never would have thought I would find gas this cheap ever again. I filled up my car for $16 (including the $2 I put in at the higher price).

This helps relieve some of the tightness in the budget as a result of the upcoming holidays and the upcoming baby.

Yea, cheap gas!

1 comment:

Stacey Greenawalt said...

I think I got gas here for $1.45 after my ten cent Kroger rewards discount. Filled up my EMPTY tank (running on fumes) for about thirty clams (as opposed to $75+) a few months ago.

It is nice not to cringe at the gas pump, but I can't help wonder why such a dwindling commodity is priced so low.