Friday, December 19, 2008

I have arrived.

There are days when I am reassured that this really is my family. Mom, Stacey, and the kids picked me up from the airport today. Stacey wanted to know if I was hungry (Yes!) and said that we would stop and get something to eat. I thought to myself, Mmmm, Chick-Fil-A would be good. And minutes later Stacey asked, "What about Chick-Fil-A?" Yes. This is my family. I belong.

The house has changed quite a bit since I was here last (Thanksgiving 2007). After the tornado in April, lots had to change. There's the chain-link fence and gazebo instead of a privacy fence and a shade tree. The back garage is white instead of brown. The bushes in front of the house have been removed. The front room is inhabited by two cockatiels. Julie has put down hardwood inspired laminate in her bedroom (goodbye rubber cement spot) and it looks like an adult's bedroom for the first time. The bathroom is all ripped up--and the door to the toilet nook is off the hinges and in the hallway. The bathroom is receiving a face lift, being turned into a blue bathroom instead of a pink one. They're laying down new tile and have painted the walls. It's going to look nice. Anyway, I did feel like a stranger to the house. But then I used the restroom and there was high-quality toilet paper, possibly 4-ply (coming over the top, of course). This is my family. I belong.

And then tonight I went out to look at Christmas lights with Grandma and her friends. We went out for ice cream afterward at Brahm's. I had a good time, though I was kept up after my desired bedtime. Eli sent me a text message to let me know that he got to the hunting camp. I hope he comes back with meat in tow.

I'm thankful for my family. Every single quirky one of them.

1 comment:

Deena said...

I too am thankful for families-especially my family in Texas that I don't get to see as often as I would like!

Love ya all!