Thursday, November 20, 2008

Yay Conference!

I was on the elevator, and it opened on my floor, and I was about to get out when I thought, Oh, no! I haven't posted to my blog today. Sheesh. That was a close one. And you'll never know how close since you have no idea how much I have to pee right now. But I knew that once I got up to my room, it would be all over. So, I came back down to the business center.

Quick airport story yesterday: Diane, the project coordinator, got stopped going through security at BHM because she had a paring knife in her purse that she had forgotten about. She had to fill out a whole bunch of paperwork and was utterly mortified. She is now on a List (with a capital homeland security L).

In my state of pregnancy brain, I tried to go through security with my cell phone in my pocket. They did not like that, but at least I didn't get registered with homeland security. Haha.

We got into San Antonio after bedtime last night, and to our hotel about 10:30 (the cabbie was on only his second day of driving--which is my luck...). I am at the Drury Plaza Hotel...you know the one. The sign is visible from all over San Antonio and the river walk. I'm sharing a room with Carey, a 1st grade teacher from Talladega County who went through the writing project in 2007. We had so much in common we stayed up until after midnight last night just gabbing away about everything and anything.

Today was a good day. Free hot hotel breakfast. Lots of food during the breaks at the conference. Lunch on the river walk. Good afternoon session. Dinner on the river walk with Michelle (Rain Forest Cafe'). Michelle (former student) drove down from Austin and we got to hang out for a couple of hours, catching up on the last 3.5 years since I moved away from Texas. I really missed her, and I'm still mad at Eli for not letting me kidnap her and bring her to Alabama with us. Coincidentally, it was weird when, during dinner, Michelle's mom called and wanted to know what she was up to, and I had to sit there and listen to her. "I'm in San Antonio having dinner with Mrs. Beaver. Mrs. Beaver. You know, my old high school teacher." Sigh. It wasn't my imagination. She did say old. (But really, I'm only 8 years older! I'm not that old! Right?)

Tomorrow should be good. I'm hoping to get over the NCTE conference just to visit the vendor booths. Free office supplies!!!

Now, my bladder is winning the war, and I have to go...in both senses. It's a pressing issue (pun intended). Until tomorrow, my faithful readers (haha).

And Colleen, I'm happy that SOMEBODY'S reading this thing practically every day. Otherwise the effort would seem wasted. You're awesome. :)

3 comments:

Stacey Greenawalt said...

Office supplies! Woohoooo!
Glad you're having a good time!

~Chop Suey

Colleen said...

haha, you're the awesome one!

I actually have you bookmarked in a series of websites that I check every day. I might have gone to your website a few times yesterday. I think you should update every day even after November! Okay, that might be a little unrealistic, but you do write interesting blogs, and I say the more the better! :)

ps-you're def not old. I think she meant "old" like in the past, not age-wise.

Misty said...

love that hotel we stayed there during tmea last year! have fun