Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Out of the Loop

Communication is the key.

Turns out I have no idea what our travel plans for Thanksgiving are. I thought I knew. I thought I would go to my doctor's appointment this afternoon and then we would leave for Mobile tonight, stay the night with the in-laws, and then drive to Pass Christian, MS, for Thanksgiving dinner with the Beaver family. But I was wrong.

Turns out that we're leaving early, early in the morning and driving straight through to Mississippi, and then driving back to Mobile tomorrow night, staying the night with either Alex or the in-laws, and then driving back to Auburn around lunchtime on Friday.

In a way, this is good because I can get some laundry done. And make some pseudo-turtle brownies (without the pecans). We went to the store today to get caramels among other things, and it turns out that they are a "seasonal" item. What?!? The clerk at Winn-Dixie said that they had them around Halloween, but won't have them again this year. Really? Not even for Christmas baking? I suggested to Eli that I buy a bag of Rolos and suck all the chocolate off of them.

Instead, we decided to buy a can of sweetened condensed milk, and I'm going to boil the can for four hours and hope that it becomes caramel like I've heard.

Cross your fingers!

1 comment:

Stacey Greenawalt said...

I'll bet you and Coco could de-chocolate a bag of Rollos in about ten minutes! :-)

I'll bet other grocery stores have caramels if the sweetened condensed milk thing doesn't work (I'm crossing my fingers, but you know, best laid plans and all that). Our Kroger has a Brach's candy-by-the-pound thing in the candy aisle with caramels in it.