Monday, November 24, 2008

Rain, rain, go away.

Ever since I got back from Texas my allergies have been killing me! I have gone between stuffy nose and runny nose, and last night, finally, drainage. Ick. So, today, my first day back to school after my fabulous 3 days off, I had a hoarse voice and a sore throat. By the end of the day I had almost lost all my voice.

Mostly, today, I was looking forward to my doctor's appointment after school, hoping that they would do an ultrasound, but I knew when I pulled up and it was raining that there would be no ultrasound today. Not making the logical connection? Well...

Rain is symbolic. In Hemingway's novels, rain represents death. When it rains, someone or something dies. So... I knew when it was raining that my hope for an ultrasound would die. I, of course, said something to the doctor about it, but the rain won. I go back in two weeks for my first ultrasound. The appointment was anticlimactic. Dr. Smith did say that things were progressing nicely, and I got to hear the heartbeat for the third time. It was in the 140s. There was some disturbance, and Dr. S interpreted that as the baby kicking and moving around. Evidently I should be able to feel that soon. His long-term interpretation of the disturbance was, "You're going to have your hands full." I'm starting to regret that Coke I drank the other day. Did I just doom my child to ADHD in one Sonic treat?

And before you go preaching about caffeine, everything I've read said that you shouldn't have more than 4-6 cups of coffee a day, and I interpreted that as a lot of caffeine! Geez! I've cut out most everything except chocolcate (no way, no how). But when I was driving home from the airport on Saturday I needed something to keep me alert for the 2-hour drive even though I just wanted to crawl into bed and take a nap, so I stopped at Sonic in Chelsea.

What have I done? (Haha.) Only time will tell.

Now, the first official picture of me. I'll call it 16 weeks. I'm two days shy of 16 weeks, but who's counting (not me, as a general rule--I just go to the doctor when they tell me to...)



I'm still not entirely convinced that that's not mostly fatness unrelated to the baby (something about family genes), and that's why I couldn't wait for the ultrasound. But, alas, I will have to wait.

2 comments:

Stacey Greenawalt said...

Hey! You've got boobs! *grin* (Alas, they won't last...)

Thanks for the pic! Miss M has been asking how big your belly is. She say's you're so pretty, and she loves your shirt!

Don't sweat the coke. Baby Beaver probably felt only a trace amount, and it CERTAINLY wasn't enough to do any kind of damage. And you probably HAVE felt the baby move and didn't know it. Those faint flutters can feel just like digestion stuff.

Love you!

Colleen said...

You look gorgeous!!! You've always been thin, so I don't think you need to worry about getting fat. You look pregnant, not fat anyway. :)