Saturday, November 15, 2008

The End is Near

Hallelujah, Hallelujah.

Have I ever mentioned how much I don't care about football? Yeah. I just don't really care. Perhaps it comes from going to a losing high school and then to a losing college. Some people might think that I don't like it because I don't understand the game. Well, I do understand the game (thanks to Kevin Dazey standing next to me in the clarinet section freshman year in college patiently explaining every little thing that happened on the field), but I still can't really get worked up over it. I'll watch, but only because of peer (family) pressure. Given the opportunity to go in person, I'll bring a book to read (embarrassing to my husband) or talk the whole game (annoying to other spectators). I don't really pay attention to the game and when Eli comes back from the concession stand or restroom, it drives him crazy that I can't tell him what happened when he was gone, what the cheering was for, or how the other team put points on the board. Seriously. I don't care.

I do, however, like the game day atmosphere. Something about all those rabid Bama fans running around pinning their hopes on a national championship bid. All this to say that today we are headed to Tuscaloosa via Birmingham (to visit Matt & Steph) to watch Alabama play Mississippi State. Eli and I went to the game last year in Starkville, MS (the things I do for love) when State pulled a surprise upset of the Tide. I'm afraid that it's going to happen again. Yes, I said I'm afraid. So, that makes me a fair weather fan. I know. But I'm also already a fan by marriage. I guess I care by association if I don't really care myself. If Bama loses, the family atmosphere will be very...tense. So, in rooting for the Crimson Tide, I'm rooting for familial peace and happiness.

Can you blame me?

No comments: