Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Other Side

I stayed up last night reading until after Eli came home from the hunting camp and then woke up this morning and read some more. Went to church, ate Thanksgiving dinner with the church family, and then came home to nap. When I woke up, I finished Twilight, and here I am. It was a pretty quick turnaround. A quick read. Nothing too mind-numbingly gratuitous, but still not very challenging. I'm not going to run out and get the sequel, but I will pick it up eventually. The story was compelling around page 375 as the characters became more interesting. Yes, that was 3/4 of the way through the book. But knowing that there were sequels, I was not overly concerned for the characters. Anyway, I would recommend it to read if you had nothing else to do.

I emerged from the bedroom moments ago, and after Eli found out I had finished the book asked me, "Have you finished Little Women?" No. No, I haven't. This may surprise you, but that book is not very well written. The character development is very good, but the story-telling is lacking. I feel as insulted as a reader reading Louisa May Alcott's writing as I did reading Frank L. Baum's The Wizard of Oz. I know the latter was written for children. Was Little Women? That would explain a lot.

Anyway, back to school for two days tomorrow. I wish I had this whole week off for Thanksgiving like every other teacher I know. :)

1 comment:

Colleen said...

If it makes you feel any better, every teacher I know has to work Monday and Tuesday. At UT, they have classes until Wednesday. Have a great T-giving, by the way. Are you going to Crowley for xmas?