Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Sub Plans

In my eight years of teaching I have taken very few days off work. Mostly, I don't get sick, so there's no reason to take sick days. I think I've averaged 2 days per year (either personal or sick), which is not many on a 187-day contract.

The truth is, I hate having substitutes because it's just so much more work than if I stayed at school. I'm more of a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants teacher. I plan, but not rigidly, and not in great detail. I prefer to see how activities unfold in the classroom and then decide where to go. For subs, you have to be very detailed because they'll never come back if you don't keep the students busy! It just goes against my character and philosophy of teaching.

But, every once in a while, I think it's worth it to have a sub. Last year, I took two personal days for my marathon. Definitely worth it. This week, I'm leaving for San Antonio and I have 3 professional development days that have been granted me. I'm so excited about this, and excited about being away from my students for 3 days! Woohoo!

And then, at the end of this year, I'm taking maternity leave. I don't think I could ever do it if this baby were due in the middle of the year. It would be TOO MUCH WORK! But, the end of the year is sooooo easy. And with maternity leave, I really could just leave without plans if I weren't feeling the tugs of professional responsibility.

Anyway, I have a lot to do before I head off to San Antonio. However, going back to work is not one of them. Mwahahahahaha.

No comments: