Friday, November 21, 2008

Like a Real Professional

As opposed to a fake professional, which I kind of felt like when I came.

Today, it finally hit me that people came from all over the country and the world to attend this conference. There was a woman in our session from New Zealand, and a few women from Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. I came to the same conference! What does that make me? That makes me a professional, someone who has the inclination and the right to fly all over the country attending conferences and bettering myself in my profession. Lots of teachers NEVER go to conferences.

The breakout sessions I attended today were the best of the conference. This might be because yesterday I was more of an observer, not sure if I was up to the same caliber as the rest of these teachers, ones who have been involved with the National Writing Project for years. I can't really explain how much it means to me to have intellectual conversation with like-minded individuals. I know this is sad, but that doesn't really happen for me at school. So today, I participated, and you know what? I at least sounded like I knew what I was talking about. I was able to stimulate debates and lively conversations with my ideas.

We went to English Teacher Mecca today: the NCTE vendor booths. Not as many office supplies as I would have liked (pout), but plenty of free books and lots of information on all the amazing resources available. While we were at the expo, Brenda, a member of our group, ran into the Zaner-Bloser handwriting guy and they got to talking; she mentioned that her student won their national handwriting contest last year. And voila! They took our whole group out to a decadent dinner where they ordered one of every appetizer, everyone was able to order whatever entree and drinks they wanted, and then they ordered one of every dessert. (Don't tell Eli, but I ordered the tres leches cake for my entree, and then, yes, proceeded to eat dessert. Haha.) I don't usually drink, (and rest assured I didn't this time) but I have never been more tempted. The waiters kept walking by with frozen margaritas and I desperately wanted one. None of the ladies had anything to drink, which was a little surprising, because had this been with my former TMS colleagues, we would have had some tipsy teachers at night's end. Again, it was nice to be with like-minded people, however sheltered and boring we may seem.

I also have a clearer idea of what I would like to study/pursue in graduate school if I get the chance to go back for my Ph.D. I thought of this during my second breakout session about implementing technology professional development in the writing project program and beyond. That was the best session of the conference, and I have much food for thought.

Finally, I realized today that when I'm eating, I subconsciously bring my arm to rest on my belly. Perhaps that's because I'm at that weird in-between phase of pregnancy where I could either be fat or pregnant, and I want people to know it's the latter by subconsciously rubbing my belly in a loving manner. Or something. Frankly, I just feel fat.

Tomorrow, we leave this wonderful place. We won't get to go back to Mecca, though I would have loved to spend more time there. I got several free books, but not so many that I can't still pack my suitcase (like the other women I'm with--crazy librarian and elementary teachers!). All in all it has been a satisfying trip that will continue to challenge me as a teacher (and as Tex-Mex lover...why, oh why can't Alabama Mexicans make good Tex Mex?).

Nine more days of regular posting. Until tomorrow evening...

No comments: