Thursday, November 27, 2008

Travel Time

Happy Thanksgiving!

We're up early because we're driving to Mississippi--which, as it turns out is a 5 hour drive from here. And then, after we eat and are sleepy and full, we're driving back to Mobile (we'll go through there on the way) which is another 2 hours. So, in total, we are going to be in the car for at least 7 hours today. I say "at least" because my bladder is not what it used to be. I used to be "the camel." Now, I'm "the peanut."

My brownies are currently in the oven. I boiled my cans of sweetened condensed milk last night and have yet to find out how they turned out, but we'll see. I'm hoping there are leftover brownies today. If not, I will make caramel pie when I come home so that I have something sweet to eat this weekend.

Eli is currently boiling cranberries to make...relish? He put sugar in it, so I don't think it will be anything like pickle relish.

And we bought all new Gladware to take with us to bring leftovers home. How's that for planning? Haha.

2 comments:

The Harrell Family Adventures said...

Why did you boil the sweetened condense milk?? what goody does it go into to? I'm intrigued!!! :)

Beaver said...

I heard tell once upon a time that if you boil a can of sweetened condensed milk for four hours it turns into caramel. Well...it does!

I had gone to the store to get Kraft caramels for my turtle brownies I was making, but couldn't find any in 3 grocery stores, eventually finding out that they're now considered "seasonal." And then my memory kicked in...vaguely. I had to look it up on the Internet just to be sure.

Anyway, if I could do it again, I would use the caramel while it is still hot (after cooling for about 30 minutes) because it will "drizzle" better. I waited until this morning when it was room temperature and it mostly gobbed. It was still tasty, though. :)

Happy Thanksgiving!