Thursday, June 11, 2009

5 Weeks

My monkey weighed in at 11 lbs 1 oz today. I'm interested to see where she'll fall on growth charts at the pediatrician next week. 99th percentile? I wouldn't be surprised. :)

We went back to the breastfeeding support group today, which doubles as a Thursday afternoon play group. There were several mothers there today, including the one I talked with last week. She told me last week that she has a 1-year-old, red-headed niece named Elsie. I thought that was crazy. Today, she was talking to someone else and mentioned her niece Elsie Jane. Uh. Well. So much for creativity. There are probably only two Elsies their age and they have the same middle name!

Another mother was there with her baby girl Naomi. I loved that name. Eli thought that southerners wouldn't be able to annunciate it properly, something about a lazy tongue making it sound like No Me. Now I'm glad we didn't go that route.

And then there was a mother from my breastfeeding class who had every intention of going med-free, but like me, her water broke early and she ended up with Pitocin that led to an epidural and then to a C-section. She brought her son who is ten days old and weighs less than 6 pounds. He was so tiny--tinier than the little boy I mentioned from last week. He made Elsie look like the Amazon she is. Their funny story was that they had a name picked out and changed it after they met him, and because they had already told people his name they had stuff monogrammed and personalized with what ended up to not be his initials and name. The mother even told me that they had already written it in the baby book when they changed their minds. She laughed about it. Haha.

Anyway, I'm going to miss meeting with other mothers when I go back to work in August. I'm going to get my fill while I can.

Oh, and Elsie wore her cute little butterfly shirt/short set today and got lots of compliments. Thanks Aunt Stacey and cousins!

3 comments:

Motorcycle grandma said...

eeeegaddds! I have a little dress I'd better get mailed before she out-grows it!!!! bunches of hugs!

Valerie said...

Hey happy Friday!!

I left something for you on my blog.

Shawna said...

I love the name Naomi, too! And I like how you call your daughter an amazon :)

Shawna's Study Abroad