Sunday, January 11, 2009

Isms

In Sunday School, the women are watching a series by RC Sproul called "Christian Worldview." It's left over from the 80's (he mentions that this year's Best Picture was Chariots of Fire) but the information is still valid.

Theidea is that we are missionaries in our own land. Missionaries spend months, even years, studying the culture they are entering before they ever set foot on foreign soil. We're in our own mission field already, and probably don't know much about our culture. That's an understatement. We live in a Christian-ized culture, but not a Christian nation.

Last week, we started off with an excellent discussion of secularism, which was the overview for the whole 10 weeks. This weeks we talked specifically about existentialism and how it has manifested itself in popular culture. I can't imagine what life would be like if I didn't think that my existence mattered, that there was no purpose to my life, and that I was accountable to nothing and no one in the long term. What despair, emptiness I might feel!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this story. In the future we are going to be exploring humanist, pluralism, relativism, hedonism, a few other -isms, and then art, science, and literature. I'm especially looking forward to those last three.

1 comment:

The Harrell Family Adventures said...

You never miss a day. I look forward to seeing your thoughts! I hope everything is okay!