Friday, January 2, 2009

Hum-dinger

I'm not usually at home this much, so it's weird that my cats have habits I've never noticed before.

The one I want to write about today is just weird (in a cute? way). Coco. Unlike Timmy, he has unconditional love for me (whereas Timmy just loves me when Eli is gone, or when Eli's lap is already occupied). He's the nicest cat I have ever met, hands down. He loves people. He loves life. And...

He loves digging in the litter box. This I knew. When we first got him, we had to get a large plastic tub with high sides to use as a litter box because that cat could dig to China. Most of the litter would end up on the floor when he was done. The high sides helped to keep most of the mess in the box. But he sure does get into it.

Well, before he left yesterday Eli cleaned out the litter box (one aspect of pregnancy that is just wonderful) and later in the day I heard Coco in there digging around. Searching for treasure? Who knows?

But, get this...

He hums to himself while he's digging. It just sounds like he's in there murmuring little meeps and meps and other Coco sounds--happy, contented sounds. It was really weird. So that's my weird, clingy cat.

And Timmy's little quirk--one of them, anyway--is that in the middle of the night he likes to check out the acoustics in the living room...a la Heathcliff. Eli never hears it because he's a sound sleeper, but I hear it more often than not. Timmy can go for 20 or more minutes, just making loud, strange sounds. He also can whisper meow. He does this when he's trying to wake us up. And for some reason, he likes to massage my belly, trying to make himself comfortable. This is the only time that he purrs for me. Really. And it happens only once in a blue moon.

Aah! I'm being cat-piled right now. I can't see the keyboard. And Coco is trying to chomp on Timmy's fat rolls. Gotta go get out of the fray. G'night.

No comments: