Wednesday, March 11, 2009

What's the sitch?

I feel like I've been griping about school a lot, so I'm sorry, and I thank you for bearing with me. Believe it or not, in many ways this teaching situation is much better than the one I left. I know--you don't believe me, but it's true! Mr. Principal really is a good man who the kids fear and respect. Unfortunately, the gist of all these stories that I share with you is that he thinks he's doing them a favor. He sees himself as Joe Clark (Morgan Freeman in the movie Lean on Me), but after 35 years in the school system is no longer serving his student population effectively for this decade (millenium?). Did I tell you about the time when he lectured me about the emotional baggage these students bring to school and about how most of them come from families that never even considered college as an option (let alone graduating high school)? I felt like he was telling me these things because he thinks I don't know, and he thinks I'm out of touch. I was a little offended, but mostly because I feel like he's the one who is out of touch--with what these children need in order to succeed! But as some of you said, I will continue to keep fighting the good fight. At least until April 10.

Also, some of you have been asking for updates on the job situation. So, here's the sitch: Eli has put in applications with the Army and Coast Guard and is waiting...and waiting. He has also applied in double digit quantities to government positions, and, you guessed it, is also waiting. He is now starting to look around locally. Any of the first two categories would most likely take us out of the state of Alabama come summer time. The last category would keep us here for the next eight years. Why? Well, because if he doesn't get hired with the Army, Coast Guard, or other government agency, Eli is planning to join up with the Alabama National Guard as a weekend warrior lawyer. There is currently an opening in Montgomery and he has been assured that should he apply, he will be accepted.

Whether or not I go back to work next year really just depends on Eli's job situation. Entirely. So, right now it's a game of wait and see. But mostly, it's a discipline of seeking God's will and having the patience and perseverence and quietude to discern what that will is. Please pray for us as we work our way through this adventure.

Cheers.

1 comment:

Misty said...

Sorry, catching up on your blog tonight. I'm praying for God to reveal His plans to you all. I pray you get to stay home with that baby girl for awhile. It will change your life, rock your world, and bring you even closer to the gracious Lord who is the only perfect Parent! Think how much He loves us!!!?!?