Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I. KNOW. HE. DIDN'T.

Oh, but he did.

Mr. Principal sent out a memo today about classroom management, telling everyone that we needed to step it up on our classroom management because the kids are too loud. They should come in and go directly to their assigned seats (which they don't really have since he decided to split the boy/girls up last week). They should immediately get out their materials and get to work (*keep this point in mind). They should raise their hands to speak. They should stay in their seats unless they have permission to be up. Blah blah blah. All stuff we know and try to do, except that he undermines what we're doing. For EXAMPLE:

In front of my class today, he came in and told them that their textbooks should be back on the shelves and that now is the time to take it easy. Why, he never taught in March, April, or May. Thus implying that neither should the teachers that work for him. Really.

And then he told them that they don't need to be able to read and write to go on to high school. They just need to sit quietly most of the time and do a few presentations to get by. And he suggested some projects that we could do where they would get 75% of their grade for dressing the part and 25% for content. Really. I'm afraid I can't make this stuff up.

So, they're supposed to come in and get their materials out and get to work, but they're supposed to be taking it easy? And the teachers are not supposed to be teaching? So...what exactly is supposed to be happening in the classroom for the next three months? And if there's no work to be done, why on earth should they obey and stay in their plastic, uncomfortable seats? And what exactly are they raising their hands for?

I'm baffled. I'm frustrated. But mostly I'm glad that I'm pregnant. April 20 (but really April 10) will not come soon enough. I feel sorry for whoever will be my substitute will be for those last 5 weeks.

3 comments:

Motorcycle grandma said...

It makes you wonder how some administrators can look in the mirror and like what they see when they have such low standards of expectation for those whose future they are molding. Repeat after me . . . this is temporary - this too shall pass.

Craig-Jen said...

I can't believe your school. The administration is really to blame, but it appears the teachers have joined the apathetic trail. What's so sad is that the kids are the ones who are really hurt in all this and you school seems oblivious (erm, like they really don't care). You hang in there and keep doing what you're doing. Your kids will look back and be appreciative (one day...)

Kerry Duty said...

Your stories make me thankful for my schools and administrators, even on days like today where it feels like I'm just banging my head against the wall. Your principal should be ashamed of himself! Keep fighting the good fight! Jen's right - your students will look back later and be so thankful that you took the time to actually teach them!