Thursday, May 21, 2009

Two Weeks

Where does the time go?

Today, the first day that I have been allowed to drive since my major abdominal baby-removal surgery, Elsie and I headed out to go visit the cafeteria ladies at school and to drop off thank you notes to the rest of the school staff. Trying to stay ahead of things, I fed her before we left and she ate like a champ. Then, right as I was buckling her into her car seat, pretty much everything she ate spilled down her front side with no warning. So, we had to change clothes and mop up the seat a little bit and were a little late getting to LaFayette, but no matter. Miraculously, she wasn't immediately hungry again after that...

We also had a nurse's visit this morning because evidently the PKU test (heel stick) they did in the hospital was inconclusive. That is, they didn't get enough blood on the card, and so had to do it again. I was holding Elsie close as they stuck her again, and it was heartbreaking to see the realization of pain wash across her face and then be echoed through her cries. Actual pain. I let them do that to my baby! And they again had a hard time getting the five good drops of blood needed, so they may have to do it again at her 1-month appointment. Ugh. On the bright side, she calmed down quickly, though I had to give her a pacifier to distract her from the discomfort of the nurse milking her leg and toes for blood. Also, she was weighed and that came to 9 lbs. 3 oz. My little piglet is putting on weight!

Yesterday I ranted a little about why my shirts don't fit anymore, but today I'm going to celebrate that I was able to get into my pre-pregnancy jeans. I just decided to try them this morning and was resolved to wear them if I could get them zipped and if they didn't aggravate my incision. Both situations worked out, and though they were a *little* tight through the rump and thighs, I wore a long shirt to cover that up. And yes, I do have a little extra skin in my midriff area that I'm pretty sure wasn't there before (ha!), so the long shirt helped to keep the muffin-top effect at bay. I realize that I'm only two weeks out from having been huge, and that it may take a while (if ever) to get back to my comfortable body type that fits all my non-maternity clothes, but I must say that I think I look pretty darn good. I would post a picture to show you, but I'm afraid you may not agree, and since I am in no mood to deal with contrary persons, I'll let you just imagine me lookin' real good.

Happy Thursday! (And what would be my last day of school with students, were I not on maternity leave!)

No comments: