Thursday, July 23, 2009

11 Weeks

I was able to go back to the hospital play group today and weighed Elsie with her onesie on: 12 pounds, 12 ounces! She's getting to be a big girl! I also met another mom with a 5-month-old. She's an RN, is from Ecuador and is 30. Her daughter is her first child, and she and her husband have been married for 7 years. Needless to say, we have a lot in common. I invited her to church with me on Sunday, and I hope that she is able to come.

Elsie has been doing really well sleeping in her crib in her own room. This morning I heard her making sucking noises, but not crying, and since it had only been 2 hours since her last feeding, I decided to go back to sleep until she vocalized. Well, an hour and a half later she finally made her impatient noise (gah!) and so I fed her. She was still calm, but I got 3.5 hours of sleep at a run. Nice.

The only thing that stinks about Elsie being all the way across the house is that I'm the only one getting up at night. It doesn't make sense for Eli to get up to change her diaper when I'm headed that way anyway, and, besides, she hasn't needed her diaper changed in the night since before we left for Texas. For equitable division of duties, you would think it would make sense for Eli to get Elsie when she cries during the early morning when he's up getting ready (so, after 5 a.m.) and then bring her to me in our bedroom, and that would be great except that Elsie must sense when he's in the shower/bathroom and unable to get to her, because Monday, Tuesday, AND Wednesday mornings she cried only when he was indisposed. And then this morning Eli went to early Bible study and Elsie didn't cry until Eli shut and locked the front door at 6 a.m. Lucky me. Ah, but isn't that the mother's plight?

On another note, it is nearing the 1-year anniversary of my first visit (of 3 total) to the EAMC ER for asthma last year when I finally moved down second night living in Auburn, I think. Eli and his best friend were out at a bar before their big camping trip celebrating the new job and the end of the Bar Exam, and they came home early to take me. And wouldn't you know, a year later, that my asthma is flaring up and I've had to use the nebulizer twice in two days (thanks, Stacey!). I. Can't. Breathe. Except when I nebulize. So, I have come to the conclusion that I'm allergic to Texas, but I'm asthmatized by Alabama. And yes, I did just make that word up.

Okay, tomorrow's post should be interesting, and there may be pictures to go with it. Right now we're getting ready to go in the pool! Those two thoughts are in no way related.



stephanie said...

i'd send you drugs, but i think i gave you all my free samples and i've (miraculously) made it 10 months in birmingham without having to see an allergist. *hug*

Cheryl said...

oh, come are not allergic to Texas! You are allergic to something blooming there in Alabama! Texas would be so much healthier for you than Alabama - and I am still working on it!