Thursday, April 23, 2009

Thursday, already?

It's been kinda' nice having nothing that I have to do. I've been working some hours at Sylvan in the evenings, but mostly just hanging around the house catching up on episodes of Las Vegas. Yesterday I was feeling especially industrious, so I went and had the Subaru detailed on the cheap and ran errands. The television in my house didn't turn on until Eli turned it on when he got home from washing sleeping bags in the high capacity washers at the laundromat. And then it was only on for the 9th inning of the Braves game.

I'm not officially nesting yet, but I think I'm going to try to jump-start the instinct. There's a lot to be done. TODAY is the day that hospital bag gets packed (thanks JT for the little encouragement I needed to just GET IT DONE!). And today I will wash all the baby clothes that our friends, the Burds, gave me--3 trash bags full--and sort them into bins based on size. After that, I'll make an estimation as to what needs to be returned to Target and Wal-Mart. Some of the clothes they gave us still have the tags on them, which leads me to believe that babies grow very quickly, and that perhaps we'll need diapers more than we'll need new onesies. We'll see...

In another sweet turn of events, I posted a comment on the Sips N Strokes facebook page wanting to know about grand opening information for the store that is coming to Auburn, and the franchise owner sent me a message telling me the finalized location (2-minutes from my apartment, same street, no joke) and the basics on the grand opening (May 20). In addition, she offered to give me a free painting class at the new location in the first weeks that it's opened. Isn't that awesome?!

Now, the only challenge is determining when this baby will come! Early? Late? On time? Since that SNS location is just a stone's throw from my apartment (did I mention how excited I am about that?) if the baby is here early or on time, I can leave her with Eli for an hour or so for the grand opening and jet home in 2 minutes, like the expert that I'm not, if he has any issues (he's an Eagle Scout--I think he'll be okay). If the baby comes late, well, then...I may have to miss the grand opening. Or, I may be VERY pregnant. Since average gestation is 41 weeks and 1 day, if she decides to be average, that puts us at May 21, with "plenty" of time to attend the event on the 20th (haha). Though, I suspect people will get very nervous when they say, "You look like you're about to pop!" and I say, slyly, "If you only knew." Or they boldly ask, "When are you due?" and I respond, "Last week." I should wear a candid camera just to record their reactions, should it come to this.

Finally, I called too late to sign up for the April Red Cross Infant CPR and First Aid classes. They told me they have openings at the end of May, but I had to decline...seeing as how the classes run 4.5 and 3 hours respectively, I don't think baby girl (or hubby, for that matter) will like it if I'm out of pocket that long. And since I'll probably be sleep-deprived at that time, it would be a waste of my money anyhow because I don't think I could pay attention for three hours--let alone four and a half. So, for the time being, I'm going to have to rely on my Girl Scout first aid training from almost 20 years ago and on my confident Eagle Scout.

Okay. Time to get out of bed. :)

No, really. I've been wide awake since 6 o'clock this morning, I just haven't gotten out of bed in any meaningful way...

3 comments:

Craig-Jen said...

Your baby ticker was making me nervous and I knew you had not packed your bags! Making another pregnant woman nervous isn't very nice ;-)

Just wait, I'll be procrastinating my bag packing in 4-5 months. HA!

You should take a picture and post it on the blog when it's actually packed :-) I'm so excited for you - you're so close!

Beaver said...

Haha. I think I *will* take a picture of my packed bag, just so I have proof. And from one procrastinator to another, second trimester would be a good time to get your updated certifications in CPR and First Aid if you haven't already done so. I'm kicking myself again and again and again for waiting so long...and now having to put it off because the class is full.

Motorcycle grandma said...

Baby Story here . . . Both my babies were "over due" - Matt 16 days, and Pam 10 days. Matt had an ear infection the day I went into labor for Pam. I went about my business and took him to the dr. He was fussy and cranky so I carried him (2 1/2 yr old) and stood and held him to comfort him during the exam. The nurse asked "when are you due?" I took a deep breath and replied, "10 days ago?" She hurried us through and got us out of there FAST!. After that I went to my OB appt and found out I was 3 cm dialated. Pam was born 7 hours later. You come from sturdy stock, sweetie . . . you can do it!