Sunday, April 11, 2010

Grandma

Grandma died on Saturday night, but Grandma has been gone a long time as a result of dimentia and Alzheimers. We're planning to make the trip to Ohio for the funeral, though I'm not sure about the logistics right now. Eli comes home tonight and we'll talk about it in detail.

But I can't leave it at that, with my last musings on her being from when I took Elsie to Texas last summer. Why? Because that wasn't Grandma.

So here are a few things about my last grandparent:

1. Grandma was talented with the crochet hook and yarn. She made each of the grandchildren afghans when we were little. I still have and use mine. Some years it makes the rotation as the couch blanket, while others it makes the rotation as the extra covers in the winter time. Right now my yellow "Grandma blanket" in the couch rotation. And the afghans were the least of her talents. She made beautiful St. Nicholas dolls and plenty of potholder and tea towel sets. She tried to teach me to crochet when I was younger, but as a lefthander, it was awkward, and I gave up.

2. Grandma made the best spaghetti. I don't know if this was technically true, but she was definitely the best Irish "Italian" cook I knew. She embraced Papa's heritage and became one heck of a cook. In third grade I decided that her spaghetti was indeed the best ever.

3. Grandma's cookies were the best. I mean, I put them on the table around my wedding cake because I wanted to share the greatness. Whether they were waffles or balls or cherry-filled, they were...addicting. And it took me 20 years to realize that anise is licorice flavoring. I hated licorice. I loved her cookies.

Trivial things? Yes. But these are the things that are filled with the best memories. I guess I really liked the picture of her trying to hold up the Leaning Tower of Pisa, but I didn't make that trip, so it was just a funny for me.

Mom, Dad, Stacey, David, L, M, and Julie, I love you. Thank you for your sacrifices in caring for Grandma.

Cheers.

5 comments:

Deena said...

You are the second grandchild to comment to me today on grandmas cooking skills.

I too want to thank your family for making such big sacrifices in order to care for grandma.

Misty said...

Sorry for your loss friend. :(

Motorcycle grandma said...

I believe that when she made spaghetti for you in Germany, you are the one that deemed it "world famous"!!! Thank you for sharing these memories of her. It's important to hold on to them and not dwell on the person alzheimers made her become. I learned this lesson from Stacey,David,L,M & Julie. If there's anything I can do at this end to help with the logistics, let me know. Luv ya!

Craig-Jen said...

Sorry, Erin. It's good to remember the good times! Enjoy the time with your family.

Kerry Duty said...

So sorry to hear about your grandma Erin! Losing a grandparent is so hard. Your family is in our prayers