Saturday, May 12, 2012

House and Flowers 2012, part 2

First, the evolution of the flower beds:

This is what the exterior of the house looked like when we bought it, April 2010 (pine straw "flower" beds):


March 2011 -- mulch flower beds with newly planted lilies and irises


Mid-April 2011 -- flowers are starting to perk up


Mid-May 2011 -- one yellow bloom if you look carefully

May 2012




Adjust the window on your computer so that you can both of the last two pictures.  Just look and be amazed.  I have done nothing to this flower bed except keep the weeds out.  What a difference a year makes, huh?

You'll notice that you can see a little more of the flower bed at the side of the house.  Here's what it looks like this year (bearded irises, hydrangeas, miniature crepe myrtle, lots of glorious red-and-green coleus):







Along the back of the house I have some Cahaba lilies planted.  They were tiny last year, and this year they are leafy.  They are expected to bloom near the end of July, early August.  They have a pretty white flower.  Last year only three of them bloomed.  We'll see if I get more this year.



At the end of the row of Cahaba lilies is this weird plant.  My in-laws told me that when they bloom, they will be yellow Louisiana irises, but it will be a few years before they bloom because they like a big, thick clump before they send up flowers.



Finally, here are some pictures of my flowers in the front bed.  I'm amazed at how many blooms I've had--so different from last year.  It's incredible!






I still have two varieties that are yet to bloom--a pink one with thin, curled petals, and orange ones with thin, curled petals that are tinged with red.  The shoots are up, but it will be a couple of weeks before we see the blooms.  (If I could have flower bed filled with the orange/red ones, I would be a happy girl.)

I wasn't going to plant a garden this year since I waited so late, but a friend gave me a whole bunch of seedlings today, and I don't want them to go to waste.  So, it looks like tomorrow might be gardening evening.

Cheers.

No comments: