Thursday, December 29, 2011

Potty Training, Day 2

Well, the day started earlier than expected. I knew that Elsie would probably wet the bed without making a noise (that I heard), so I went to sleep with a spare sheet, blanket, pillow, set of jammies, and underpants at the foot of my bed so that I wouldn't even have to think when I finally heard her.

And that cry came at 4:15 this morning, accompanied by a pleading child who very badly wanted a diaper. I told her no. [It was obvious that she had peed some time earlier just in the way the items on her bed were situated. She had moved her pillow over the wet spot and was curled up on top of it.] Stripped her down, sat her on the toilet, and put a blanket around her shoulders so that she wouldn't be too cold while I did my magic. Fresh sheet, fresh blanket, fresh pillow, fresh jammies, fresh underpants, and she went right back to sleep.

As a result of this early wake-up, I scrapped my 5 a.m. plan and just slept. At seven sharp, I heard a sound and rushed in there ready to whisk her to the potty again, and she was asleep, but Oscar was smiling up at me from his bed, so I got him instead. Elsie stirred and then informed me that she wanted to sleep, so I let her.

She got up on her own at 8:30, and she was still dry (!) so I reminded her to tell me when she needed to use the potty. So, here's the daily recap:

9:45 a.m. -- Little accident (pee), to which she said, "I have a poopy diaper." She was a little wet, but not enough to get past the undies, showing me that she exercised some sort of control which was evident when we rushed to the potty and she peed and peed and peed. And then wanted some chocolates.

10:30 a.m. -- Accident (BM finally!) in underpants. She was just playing, no noticeable interruptions in her talking, and I look over to see that her undies were shaped strangely in the back. So we went to the potty and put the poop in the the potty and sat for a while to see if there was anything more. (There wasn't.)

(Again, no nap today. I hope K doesn't kill me next week.)

1:00 p.m. -- PEE IN THE POTTY -- This was the beginning of success, I hope. She was sitting on the floor in the kitchen and looked up at me and said "Mama!" in an urgent voice. I whisked her to the potty. She was dry, and she peed and peed. And then wanted chocolates. I had reminded her about ten minutes before to tell me if she needed to go pee since it had been over two hours and I was ready for it. It still took me by surprise.

2:10 p.m. -- PEE IN THE POTTY -- Jill was here and asked Elsie to see her new potty seat and show her how it worked. Well, it worked like a charm. And she wanted chocolates.

5:30 p.m. -- PEE IN THE POTTY -- I was getting dinner ready and it had again been over two hours since her last visit to the Dora potty seat, so I asked her. She went. The 3-day method doesn't want the parent to ask, but to remind the child to tell the parent, but I was afraid that I would get busy with dinner and we would have an accident.

7:45 p.m. -- Accidental discovery of skid mark(?) and then PEE IN THE POTTY -- We were getting on the potty before bedtime and she had a little bit of poo in her panties. So we put it in the potty and finished up with a lot of pee. Otherwise her undies were dry. We put on pajamas and she insisted on going right to bed. No rocking, no singing. Her one request was for some water, which I obliged (but only a little bit).

For tomorrow, I'm going to push fluids a little more. She didn't really drink much today.

And since I gave her water tonight, I may try to wake her up to go potty again after the game tonight.

And now how about some Baylor football??

Sic 'em, Bears!!

UPDATE: Dang it. Each night I have read through the potty-training e-book and realize all the mistakes I am making (playing next door yesterday, not being as completely focused on Elsie as I should be). The good news is that I can get better tomorrow. We'll see how tomorrow goes. :)

Go here for day 3.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

when i pushed more fluids all i got were more "small" trips to the bathroom. he's a boy, it might be different, but it sounds like day 2 went much better! BMs are less frequent when they are otherwise distracted with the "no wet" and "pee in the potty" but she went...so more will come when she also grasps that idea

Craig-Jen said...

I'm taking notes. First step for me is for Madeline to actually sit on the toilet!!! Way to go Elsie and Erin!!!!!