Wednesday, October 15, 2008

In the desert, again.

So, it feels like he just came home, though I know it was almost (but not quite) a year ago. Today, October 15, my friend John is back in Iraq for seven months. His first tour, he left on his birthday in April and came back in November. He didn't have to be away for the holidays. This time, he won't be back until May and will definitely be spending Thanksgiving, Christmas, and even his birthday at war.

I know that our country is at war, and I am just a wreck knowing someone who is actually over there, especially someone doing something as dangerous as flying helicopters (a Huey) for the Marines. During his last tour, I talked to my students about it. It made me mad when they wouldn't stand stand for the pledge, when they wouldn't pause their conversations, and when they wouldn't care. I know. They're 12. And they have no real idea. These kids don't even remember September 11. They were 5 or 6.

Also, John being overseas makes me feel like a coward. Of course, now I have excuses, reasons I wouldn't be accepted into the armed forces, but 10 years ago, when I was in ROTC, I decided that I couldn't go into combat, that I would rather provide support for military families as a DoD teacher. I haven't even done that yet! I've done nothing except sit back and reap the benefits of these soldiers fighting and and dying for my freedoms. I'm a bum. And I feel guilty.

I make sure I tell John as often as I can how much I appreciate that he's willing to serve in the Marines. I know it's more difficult on him this time around because he's leaving his girlfriend behind. He didn't really have any real emotional attachments before.

Anyway, I wish I could find some way to help my classes support our troops this holiday season. Ideas?

No comments: