Wednesday, February 10, 2010

9 month doctor update

We took Elsie for her 9-month checkup today. Here are the stats:

Length: 28.5
Weight: 18 lbs. 13 oz.
Head: 18.67 inches

She's still speeding ahead on noggin size and length, but her weight is slowing down. That's good. I suspect she'll be 20 pounds well before her first birthday.

We talked to the pediatrician about weaning, and she said, hey why not? Not exactly as helpful as I wanted (step by step, someone, please!) but it was good to be encouraged. Elsie loves to eat and honestly doesn't care if it's from the bottle, the box, the jar, or from me. Is it edible? She'll eat it. I'm down to pumping only once at school this semester (lunch time, with the motive of not having to keep the silent lunch crowd) and feeding Elsie in the morning and at night--about two nursing sessions a day, sometimes three. Any advice or ideas about this? I just don't want her being jealous or wanting to nurse, too, when the new baby comes.

I'm also not sure how this feeding thing progresses from here. When do we start giving her table food? Meat? I just don't know and I don't want to do it wrong!

Elsie is not feeling well. When Eli got her up to get dressed this morning, he said, "Whoa!" I thought he might have found a poopy diaper. Nope. It was a snotsplosion! All dried and crusted on top of her nose, her lips, her cheeks. The cribsheet was a mess. Can you say yuck? I nursed her in the dark this morning, so I didn't notice more than her snorting and having trouble breathing through her nose. (And I had a little dried snotsky on me, come to find out.) I don't think it's a cold, as she doesn't have a fever, she's not particularly fussy, and her appetite isn't affected, but the doctor said that her eardrums are a little inflamed and gave me an Rx for antibiotics just in case. I think it's allergies. If this weather would just make up its non-existent mind! The changing back and forth is wreaking havoc on my sinuses, and Elsie's too.

Okay, it's officially 8 o'clock. I can go to bed. I was ready for bed at 6:45 p.m. and realized that that was a little insane, so I've stuck it out for as long as I could. Goodnight!

Cheers.

2 comments:

Jeni said...

Hey Erin, sometimes babies noses run when they are teething. could be what's going on. and about table food - i started giving kate table food a little bit at a time a couple weeks ago. she still eats mainly pureed foods, but also some chicken, cheese, eggs, toast, raisins, etc. About weening, I am probably not much help. I stopped cold turkey and DO NOT recommend it!! Maybe stop one feeding, wait a day or two, then drop another. Just don't stop all at once!

The Miller Family said...

Sounds like your on the right track with weaning....with Daniel I went slowly down - to about 2 feedings a day. Then it seemed to naturally just not be there anymore.