Monday, September 29, 2008

First (Unofficial) Day on the Job

I spent the day at my new school. Here are my observations:

1. A fresh coat of paint could do wonders for the entire school.
2. I have 20+ boxes of classroom stuff from my other job. There is NO (zero, zip, zilch) storage in my new classroom.
3. Students do not have lockers. They carry their belongings with them all day.
4. I have an 8th grade student who is expecting a baby in November. The kids call her "Bunny" (in reference to her reproductive skills, no doubt).
5. There is no apparent dress code. After three years of being trained to tell people to tuck their shirts in, now I just feel like a useless (mindless) drone.
6. The cafeteria is big enough only for 3 classes to eat at one time. Maybe. But the food's not bad.
7. We have old-fashioned desks. They're not made out of wood, but they are old. It's the old chairs with the half-desks attached. And, of course, all of them favor right-handed students.
8. My classroom is dirty. The linoleum is scuffed from years of use; the walls are covered with grime; the windows are caked in dirt; the window shades are old, torn, and starting to yellow; the window sills have accumulated a disgusting collection of dirt, dead bugs, and abandoned candy wrappers; the ceiling in the room has cobwebs.

I'm feeling optimistic. A part of me just wants to jump in and get my feet wet. Unfortunately I have to wait for one more day.

No comments: