Sunday, September 21, 2008

Employed!

Starting October 1, I have a job! Evidently, the language arts teacher in Chambers County has been offered a job somewhere else, doing something else, for somewhere upward of six figures. I would leave too. Anyway, this worked out for me. This week, I finish up my permanent sub job and next week I start teaching full time.

I'm not really sure what to expect, but I'm willing to do anything for a year. As far as I know I'll be teaching 8th grade language arts, but there may be a 7th grade class thrown in there somewhere. I'll find out more on Monday when I go up to LaFayette (which in Alabama is pronounced "luh-fet'").

And since I am officially employed, though I won't get a paycheck until November sometime, Eli went ahead and ordered cable and Internet for our apartment. It works out well since we don't have to pay for the water bill at this apartment (saving $25 a month), and we've decided to live the year without a land line since telemarketers were the only people who called on it (saving $31 a month), and our apartment is all-electric--much to Eli's chagrin--and is much more energy efficient, so we don't have a natural gas bill (saving $40 a month), and we don't have hundred dollar electricity bills. For instance, our final partial electricity bill in Tuscaloosa this last month was $110 dollars. In our bigger Auburn apartment, our entire electric bill for a full month was $40. All this to say, we finally have cable for the first time in my life. And internet at home.

We were supposed to have limited basic cable, but the guy came and didn't limit our cable, and when Eli brought that to his attention, he didn't seem so concerned. In fact, I think he was a little surprised that Eli mentioned it. Most people would stay quiet, right? Anyway, now we have way more channels than we could ever need, and I think I'm going to die of input overload. We used to have 3 channels (on a good, clear, antenna-friendly day) and now we have well over 100. And internet at home. Input overload already.

Did I mention that I'm supposed to be grading papers right now? All day? Ugh. I just don't feel like it.

No comments: