Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Sweet Little Moo Cows

As luck would have it, Eli was not with us for Cow Appreciation Day on July 8. He was up in Anniston working for the National Guard. But, not one to let free food slip through my fingers (this really is a theme for my life), I decided to get us all dressed up and go to Chik-Fil-A. I asked Jill if she wanted to come with us, and she agreed. She's up for most anything, and I love that she's such a good sport!

I think what I am most proud of this year is that I did not spend a single dime on these costumes. Yes, I wanted to go to Hobby Lobby to get stuff, but I made it work without. (Mantra: getting out of debt getting out of debt getting out of debt)

For Elsie's costume, I got one of the little while undershirts that I bought her previously and used a Sharpie marker to draw the shapes of the spots and used craft markers to fill in the spots. I found a pair of too-short 12-month black pants and slapped them on her--instant capri pants.

For Oscar's, I got a long-sleeved onesie that he used to wear (size 6-9 months) and made it into a short-sleeved onesie (that still fit, mostly). Then I made spots on it the same way I did for Elsie's. I also found the cow print legwarmers that Elsie wore two years ago when she was 9 weeks old, and he wore those

Both children had liquid eyeliner on their noses (couldn't find my black acrylic paint and my artist neighbor was out of town). The adults had dark eye shadow on our noses.

Jill and I taped on spots cut out of black construction paper. They didn't stay on great, particularly with having to carry children around, but they were good enough. We both wore white shirts.

And then I made ears for everyone out of construction paper, too. For the girls, I punch holes and put hair elastics through each ear. We wore variations on pigtails and attached the ears to our piggies. Oscar got a head band with smaller ears. The old man behind the counter at CFA told us we had the most authentic ears he had seen all day. Score! So, now that you know our story, here are our pictures (courtesy of Jill, and some random woman who took a picture of all of us together):









Cheers.

No comments: