Monday, November 3, 2008

Even Cows Know

Yes, it stinks getting up early and having to drive 30 minutes to get to work, but there are some perks.

1. I get to listen to books on tape and can finish about a book every two weeks (or sooner!). I just finished Frank McCourt's Teacher Man. It was fantastic.

2. I get some think time in the car. Unfortunately this means that sometimes I don't remember portions of my drive on that windy rural road. Did I already cross the railroad tracks? I don't remember that. But I know that this house is definitely after the tracks, but I really don't remember crossing the tracks.

3. The sun comes up while I'm driving. It's low in the sky and has that warm morning glow that makes you just want to stand still and drink it in. It's also so low that sometimes I can't see the road because of the glare off my windshield, but that's neither here nor there.

4. Cows. Lots of cows. Big cows, little cows. Black cows, white cows. And a few cows that stand still facing the rising sun, drinking in its warmth. Most days, I am jealous. I always smile as I pass those cows. They're easy to spot because all the other cows are grazing, heads down, but a couple of them are standing erect, facing the sun. It makes me happy that even the cows know how incredible it is.

No comments: